Steve Smith is known by his training buddies as “Steve-O”. He is a 40 year Michiana resident, swim coach, teacher and World Champion Triathlete. He is one of the most decorated amateur triathletes of all time with over 250 triathlons completed. A few of achievements include:
- 12-time Kona Ironman competitor (4 of these he was in the top 5 in his age group),
- 15-time All-American by USAT
- 3-time Grand Master Champion by USAT
- 7 consecutive USAT National Championship titles
- Long Course World Champion
- Short Course World Champion
- Boston Marathon Finisher
- Member of the Indiana High School Swimming & Diving Hall of Fame
- Featured in Sports Illustrated "Faces in the Crowd".
He has been a huge inspiration to many!
April 24th, 2012 he was diagnosed with a deadly brain tumor called Glioblastoma. In true “Steve-O” style, he has been battling this cancer with determination, strength and courage.
Steve's vision for the Racing For Steve-O Foundation is to help Michiana children have the opportunity to be involved in sports and athletics regardless of their physical, mental and financial barriers. The foundation has donated some money to South Bend Kids Triathlon to purchase helmets, bikes and entry to children with finacial needs. We have also donated money to "Jamie's Challenge" to benefit Logans Center. Our future goal is to provide scholarships to Michiana special needs children to help them have the opportunity to participate in local recreational events and camps!
Please join us for August 30th, 2014 for the 1st Annual Barron Lake Triathlon benefitting the Racing For Steve-O foundation! Sprint (200 meter swim/13.2K Bike/2.5K Run) and Olympic (1500 meter swim/ 40K Bike/ 10K Run) Please visit website for event details and registration! www.barronlaketri.com