Steve Smith, also known as “Steve-O”, was a 40 year Michiana resident, swim coach, teacher and World Champion Triathlete. He is known as one of the most decorated amateur triathletes of all time with over 250 triathlons completed. A few of achievements include:
- 12-time Kona Ironman competitor (4 of these he was in the top 5 in his age group)
- 6 World Champion Titles
- 15-time All-American by USAT (Ranked #1)
- 5-time Grand Master Champion by USAT
- 14 USAT National Championship titles
- 2-time Ironman 70.3 World Champion
- Long Course World Champion
- Short Course World Champion
- Boston Marathon Finisher
- Member of the Indiana High School Swimming & Diving Hall of Fame
- Featured in Sports Illustrated "Faces in the Crowd".
He has been a huge inspiration to many!
April 24th, 2012 he was diagnosed with a deadly brain tumor called Glioblastoma. In true “Steve-O” style, he battled this cancer with determination, strength and courage for over 28 months before passing away September 4th, 2014.
Steve's vision for the Racing For Steve-O Foundation is to help Michiana children of all abilities have opportunities to be involved in recreational activities and camps. The foundation has donated some money to South Bend Kids Triathlon, Logan's Center, Challenger Little League, Michiana Down Syndrome and Reins of Life. Our future goal is to provide scholarships to Michiana special needs children to help them have the opportunity to participate in local recreational events and camps!
Please join us August 29th, 2015 for the 2nd Annual Barron Lake Triathlon and 5K Run/Walk benefitting the Racing For Steve-O foundation! Sprint (200 meter swim/13.2K Bike/2.5K Run) and Olympic (1500 meter swim/ 40K Bike/ 10K Run). We are adding a Kid's Triathlon this year as well! Stay tuned! Please visit website for event details and registration! www.barronlaketri.com